Saturday, July 18, 2015

A bad day

I had a rough one this week.  I started the day by getting a flat on my bike after running over a rock near a construction site.  Luckily I had my phone and Scott could come get me - otherwise I'd be walking 5 miles home (at the time I didn't know how to change a flat).

Then I took Alayna and her friend shopping while the guys went to see a movie.  A little Hobby Lobby - ok, you can never stop with a "little" at Hobby Lobby!  I had to run into Ulta Beauty to refresh some of my makeup supply (getting old is rough, and expensive!).  While in the store, I knocked over not one but THREE displays.  I gave up and went home.

While making an impromptu dinner for the kids before VBS, I tried to cut  my finger off while chopping up a green pepper.  Thank got for fingernails and bandaids!

With my finger taped up, I dropped the kids off and took my tire in to my favorite local bike shop, Bikesmith, where Allen gave me a lesson on how to repair a flat tire. On my way out of the store, with my tire in my hand, I managed to clip the end bicycle in a display and knocked down a hole row.  Of brand new bicycles.  I left with black hands and my tail between my legs.

I continued to my next stop, Walmart, and directly to the washroom to clean up.  Well, after having 5 kids, my full bladder couldn't wait until I had finished washing my hands.  You know the running water and all.  Yes, I was THAT woman.

I made it home after getting the kids, added a little Blue Chair Bay to my Coke and tucked myself into bed, before I could cause any more problems.

Did I mention that Scott installed our bedroom TV on a wall mount while I was out?  This means the bedroom furniture needed to be rearranged.  I had no more energy that evening, and decided to wait until the morning.  Big mistake.  Scott was gone, and I couldn't wait - so I moved things by myself.  Until I moved an antique wooden sewing table over my foot.  Yes, dad, I was not wearing shoes.  So now I have a purple, possibly broken toe to add to my "bad day".

But you know what?  I just laughed.  Mostly because it was all so stupid it was funny.  But, this minor stuff is just that.  It's minor.  I have a very different definition of a "bad day" now.  Most of the time I have to shove the memories of that day out of my head.  That day that my world changed.  Because that was only ONE day - yes it was the worst day a mother could have, but I have to force myself to focus on ALL of the OTHER days.  The ones before, and the ones since.  Because even when the fates pile up a load of crap in 24 hours, it still can't compare.

Laugh at yourself.  Laugh at your mistakes.  Life is too short to focus on the bad days.

2 comments: